Art Deco Buildings

Leeton came into being in 1912 and most inhabitants lived in canvas tents. In the early 1920's, brick and plastered parapets were constructed with curved, triangular shaped features in a style known as "free classical". In the late 1920's the more substantial buildings were constructed.

Art Deco style decoration became popular between the first and second world wars. The term 'Art Deco' comes from the exhibition of design "L'Exposition Internationale des Art Decoratifs" held in Paris in 1925, however was not used until the 1960's. It was originally known as Modernistic or Moderne style. Many of Leeton's main street buildings were renovated or constructed between the wars, a number are in the Art Deco style (eg Centrepoint). Examples of Art Deco features are mosaic tiling in recessed doorways, pressed metal awning on ceilings, glazed windows, stepped parapets with chevron brickwork and rendered with tin decorative parapets.

The Mediterranean (or Spanish Mission style) was also popular during the period. The Hydro Hotel built in 1919 and the Roxy Theatre built in 1930 are good examples.

Leeton was fortunate enough to have an architect with the versatility of George W A Welch, who designed buildings in all three styles.

Buildings constructed in recent years, such as the Ambulance Station, Madonna Place, the renovated Leeton Shire Council and the most recent of all, the Federation Stage in Mountford Park, have all been influenced by the Art Deco or Moderne period.